Gracie is now 13 years old!

For nine years she's eaten REAL, HOMEMADE FOOD, NOT commercial dog food. This blog shows how easy it is to be a DOGGIE CHEF and how healthy a home-fed dog can be.

March 30, 2010

How We Make Doggie Chef Meatloaf

Doggie Chef Meatloaf is easy to make and easy to freeze in portions, for future meals. This is what I currently put in Gracie's meatloaf:
Lean ground beef (about 92% lean)
(When Gracie was a younger dog I used fattier ground beef. In the winter I sometimes still use 85% lean ground beef to provide extra energy for outdoor play and warmth. Or I add some corn oil into the lean meatloaf mixture for the same reason.)

Eggs

Grated carrots (I prefer the taste of peeled, organic carrots so that's what I use in Gracie's meatloaf. I always grate the carrots finely for easier digestion.)

Rolled oats

Powdered milk (For added calcium)

Wheat germ

Herbs for flavor (I use parsley, sage, basil, rosemary and a very light sprinkling of salt and black pepper.)

Corn oil (To grease the baking pan and to provide extra fat during the winter months.)

How I make Gracie's meatloaf: 
Preheat oven to 350 F. and put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl:
















Mix thoroughly, by hand, until all ingredients are incorporated:
















Form the mixture into a loaf and place in a baking dish or baking pan greased with corn oil:












Bake at 350 F until done. Cut in half to check doneness:















Slice into portions or mash into a meatloaf mixture:
















Serve and/or store in refrigerator or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment