Gracie is now 13 years old!

For nine years she's eaten REAL, HOMEMADE FOOD, NOT commercial dog food. This blog shows how easy it is to be a DOGGIE CHEF and how healthy a home-fed dog can be.

March 16, 2011

Snow Storm!

How many almost-12-year-old dogs want to frolic outside in freezing temperatures, during a snowstorm? My home-fed dog does! I'm convinced Gracie's years of eating homemade dog food have kept her exceptionally hale and hardy.

We had a nasty snowstorm last week. Gracie was in seventh heaven! Sometimes I wonder if she isn't part husky, or some other snow-loving dog breed.

When I let her out after breakfast the wind was blowing and the snow was coming down hard. Gracie quickly took her "bathroom break" but instead of hurrying back inside she started pushing and pulling her new basketball around the yard. When I said, "No Gracie, the weather is too bad. You have to come in," she looked up at at me so hopefully. I couldn't let her down. I quickly bundled up and got my camera. I figured if I was going to stand outside and play in freezing weather, I might as well get some good photos.

Here's Gracie waiting for me to kick the basketball she just pushed toward me with her nose.

I kicked the ball to her a few times but I started getting really cold. Gracie didn't seem to mind the cold one bit. She looked so disappointed when I suggested going inside, I just had to stay outside with her a little longer.

She ran and played and was so happy.

At one point she practically disappeared into all the snow kicked up by our game.

After about 15 minutes I'd had enough. The weather was too rough for me and my camera, but not for my dog!

I resorted to bribery and told Gracie to come on in for a treat. That got her attention. After she followed me inside I gave her a piece of crusty French bread --- one of her favorite snacks.

4 comments:

  1. That is so cute!! I love the pictures!! My dog Alex loves to play in the snow too. He has such a furry coat that it must feel good for him. All of our snow is gone! I could go out today in a t shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your photos!
    She is having SO much Fun! I just love it!
    Especially the one of her all covered in snow!
    What a sweetheart :)
    Our snow melted and yesterday it hit 68 degrees!
    Today it dropped 20 degrees again and now it's supposed to start raining! Ugh! That means Dogs + Rain = a Muddy House :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cook for my dog, too. I have for 10 years. He is a shetland sheepdog weighing around 45 lbs. He has done very well of 'human food' and eats 2 meals a day. I always have some organic dog food for him if he wants to snack on it but he rarely does. He has done very well but recently he is dealing with ear infections. We have it under control right now but I always worry that it may be food related. He eats so many different foods that I wouldn't know where to start to eliminate. He loves so many vegetables, all meat, fish, potatoes and rice & cheese. Deb=^..^=x5 Ottawa, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb! It's wonderful to hear from another Doggie Chef! That is SO GREAT that you've cooked for your dog for 10 years! How old is he? If you want to email me a photo of your dog, I'd love to feature the photo in my next blog post. It would be fun to introduce my readers to another home-fed dog, and his Doggie Chef, and show them more proof of how well a dog can do on homemade dog food. I'd include a link to your blog in my post if you'd like. No problem if you'd rather not. My friend has Shetland Sheepdogs and she now has adorable puppies! They seem like a really nice breed. Sorry to hear about your dog's ear infections. I hope you're able to figure out the cause soon.

    ReplyDelete