Gracie is now 13 years old!

For nine years she's eaten REAL, HOMEMADE FOOD, NOT commercial dog food. This blog shows how easy it is to be a DOGGIE CHEF and how healthy a home-fed dog can be.

February 16, 2011

Blueberries

I started feeding Gracie blueberries as an occassional snack. When I was eating some blueberries recently, one fell off my plate and rolled across the floor. Gracie gobbled it up and made it clear she wanted more.

I never felt inclined to include fruits in Gracie's Doggie Chef meals. I think they contain too much sugar for regular consumption. Yet I know Gracie thinks some fruits taste really good (she loves dates). And many fruits, like blueberries, are considered health-enhancing superfoods. So blueberries are now on Gracie's occassional snack food list (click here to see a post about other snacks Gracie enjoys).

I did some Internet research and didn't find any reputable sources claiming blueberries are bad for dogs. In "Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats (see my review of that book here)," blueberries are recommended for occassional snacking. Any produce I give Gracie (or eat myself) is thoroughly washed first. When I share bluberries with Gracie I give her no more than three or four.

3 comments:

  1. I never thought of blueberries before! I will have to try that with my dogs! They start getting hungry for dinner at 2:00 now! I don't feed them until maybe five, so that might be a good snack to tide them over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Garden Girl! I wouldn't give them too many, too often. You'll know best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I gave my dog Rowie one the other day. She loved it, but I didn't give her anymore. I tried giving one to Emma, but she just turned her nose up to it!

    ReplyDelete