Gracie is now 13 years old!

For nine years she's eaten REAL, HOMEMADE FOOD, NOT commercial dog food. This blog shows how easy it is to be a DOGGIE CHEF and how healthy a home-fed dog can be.

June 20, 2008

Evolution Of A Doggie Chef

The day I brought Gracie home from the dog shelter (see photo), I had no idea I would ever become a Doggie Chef.

For about three months I refused to give my dog "people food." Experts working within the dog food industry said it was unnecessary and unhealthy to feed a dog "people food" and I believed it.

I initially fed Gracie what I thought was the highest quality dog food available at my local supermarket. She seemed to like it --- for a while. In a few weeks her coat became extremely shiny. Yet she seemed too skinny. And she experienced recurring digestive problems. She occasionally ate lots of grass when she was outside and then threw it all up, along with anything else that was in her stomach.

Soon Gracie started leaving half her "food" uneaten at mealtimes. I began adding some "people food" to her dog food. A bit of hamburger, some cheese, some cooked egg. She always ate all the "people food" but often left half or more of her dog food untouched. I tried feeding her more expensive commercial dog foods. None of them totally agreed with her digestion or excited her taste buds.

I decided I was a pawn of advertising, feeding my dog expensive dog food she didn't even like or thrive on. So I tried inexpensive dry dog food from my supermarket, mixed with inexpensive canned dog food. Gracie seemed to like this combination. I should have realized that good taste doesn't always mean good nutrition. I began investigating what was in these cheap, dog "foods" and I learned some alarming things about the pet food industry.

The first book I read on the subject was, "Food Pets Die For – Shocking Facts About Pet Food," by Ann N. Martin (Click here for my review of that book). The book makes some hard to believe claims about commercial pet food. It also shares valuable information, like how misleading pet food labels can be.

The book that most helped me become a Doggie Chef is, "Dr. Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health For Dogs & Cats," by Richard H. Pitcairn, DVM, Ph.D. (Click here for my review of that book). While I don’t agree with all its content, it gave me the confidence and guidance to begin preparing healthful, homemade meals for my dog.

Fifteen months after adopting Gracie (the year she turned 4) I became her Doggie Chef. Since then Gracie eagerly eats every bit of every meal I give her. She's 9-years-old now and she no longer experiences digestive problems. Her coat is naturally shiny and she has plenty of energy.

I created this blog so others can see how well my now 9-year-old dog is doing eating homemade meals. I also want others to see how easy it is to be a Doggie Chef.

It's so rewarding to feed your beloved pet nutritious, delicious food!

"Bone" Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment